The Regents Bachelor of Arts (RBA) Program, created by the West Virginia State
Board of Regents in 1975, is offered at West Virginia University through the
College of Education and Human Services. Since its inception, WVU's RBA Program has
granted over 4,000 degrees to worthy recipients. We expect this number to grow significantly as many adult learners are returning to college to trigger their intellectual curiosity, boost their market value, or for personal fulfillment.
The mission of the RBA program is to
provide adult learners with an opportunity to achieve their academic and career
goals and objectives through a first time bachelor’s degree. This is accomplished by providing quality education, services and resources to promote student
learning and academic success.
A Flexible Individualized Degree:
The RBA program assumes that adults have different
needs and goals relative to traditional undergraduates. Therefore, our degree
requirements are designed to meet the specific needs of adult learners. The RBA degree
is designed to provide adult learners with either a Liberal Arts or a more comprehensive education when combined with our Areas of Emphases and minors. Furthermore, there is considerable flexibility
in how, when, and where degree requirements are achieved. Specifically, students may earn credits through on-campus and online courses (at WVU or transfer), credit
by exam, standardized awards, and/or writing portfolios to petition for eligible courses based on work experience,
or a combination of each.
To learn more about specific degree requirements and the areas of emphases offered,
please follow the link below.
RBA Major Requirements Areas of Emphasis
If you have any questions, check out our
Frequently Asked Questions page, attend one of our
info sessions or webinars, or speak to an advisor by phone at 304-293-5441
or by e-mail at
Benefits of an RBA degree:
There are tremendous benefits for
pursing the RBA degree. Some of those benefits include:
- Convenience: many of our students would like to continue working and/or maintaining their family and social commitments. Thus, they would be able to develop a suitable Academic Success Plan with their assigned advisor that best fits their individual schedules.
- Cost: Many of our students have accumulated a vast number of years of work experience in various fields.Therefore, they are eligible to petition for College Equivalent Credits (CECs). Additionally, our students often have earned numerous professional certificates and/or licenses as part of their professional development, which may equate to CECs. The aforementioned avenues are much cheaper relative to taking college courses.
- Career advancement: The RBA degree provides recipients with opportunities to further their careers by pursuing a Liberal Arts or more specialized focus if they choose to incorporate our Areas of Emphases and/or minors.
The RBA degree is a
perfect fit for:
- Working adults since it allows them to balance work,
family and other social commitments while remaining committed to pursuing a collegiate career.
- Adults that have already earned an Associates degree and/or professional certificates and licenses that equates to college credits.
- Service men and women (veterans, law enforcement, firefighters, etc.) who may have earned college credits based on their service training.
- Adults who may have started their academic careers but never completed, or are looking to begin college, in order to advance or change careers.
- Adults with plans to continue on to obtain a graduate degree (see Pathways to Master's).